Each year, we receive enough provincial funding to provide basic care for our residential core members. It covers about 96% of our costs. However, L’Arche is known for more than just basic care. Our core members receive specialized support in our homes. The spiritual, emotional and one-on-one social support that we provide exceeds all government-mandated services. We provide this extra support in 2 ways:
- Volunteers: If we had to pay our volunteers, our staff costs would rise by 8%.
- Fundraising: This year, we need more than $65,000 in additional costs that are not funded by the province of Ontario. Our core values, which are part of the DNA of L’Arche communities in Canada and around the world, demand that we raise funds to cover the shortfall. We cannot cut our services.
See the difference your donation will make to L'Arche Hamilton:
- $150 provides a headphones for activities in our day program.
- $300 provides an iPod or MP3 players for our core members during their quiet time.
- $500 provides a mattress for our live-in assistants.
- $750 provides one iPad for our core members.
- $2,000 improves lighting in one of our homes.
- $9,000 creates a laundry room in one of our homes.
- $16,000 pays for one participant in our day program whose family cannot afford the additional costs. Government financing typically covers 90%, families must pay for the remaining cost for the year.
- $30,000 covers capital upgrades to our facilities for a typical year.
- $70,000 buys a van that can transport 2 wheelchairs.
- $150,000 allows for renovations for a home to accommodate 2 more individuals.
- $2 million allows us to buy or build a small apartment building to offer affordable housing for 10–15 people with intellectual disabilities.
Donate today to reduce our residential support wait time of 7 years.
Please send your cheque to “L’Arche Hamilton” at 664 Main Street East, Hamilton ON L8M 1K2. Or donate online.
CRA # 131916488 RR0001